One of the potentially frustrating things about switching back and forth between Mac and Windows PCs can be proprietary formats — a key example being Apple's DMGs (disk images). Here's how to extract content from a DMG in Windows 10.
The best option, whenever possible, is using 7-Zip. You probably already have it if you're a Windows regular, since it's a free and convenient way of extracting the more universal ZIP format.
Once Z-7ip is installed, find the DMG file you want to work with in File Explorer and right-click on it. In this case we're using some of Apple's free system fonts as an example.
Mouse over '7-Zip' in the right-click menu, then select 'Extract Here' or 'Extract files.' That should give a choice of where to send extracted material, though by default the app will create a subfolder in your current File Explorer location. Click 'OK' once you've chosen a place.
There's a good chance you'll have to dive into the new subfolder and run extraction again. With Apple's font DMGs for example, the real meat is buried within an HFS archive, which you'll need 7-Zip for. HFS is a filesystem used exclusively by Macs.
That should be it — you may see a lot of confusing folders and files, but what you want should be buried in there somewhere.
An alternative to 7-Zip is DMG Extractor. Though it's very straightforward we're inclined to recommend using 7-Zip as your first resort, since DMG Extractor has harsh limitations without a paid license. You can't extract more than 5 files from a DMG simultaneously, and it simply won't work with encrypted files or those bigger than 4 gigabytes.
Our goal is to help you understand what a file with a.dmg suffix is and how to open it. The Apple Disk Image file type, file format description, and Mac, Windows, and Linux programs listed on this page have been individually researched and verified by the FileInfo team.We strive for 100% accuracy and only publish information about file formats.
Neither 7-Zip nor DMG Extractor are the ultimate solution, though. There are some DMG files that 7-Zip, nor other alternatives that we've tried will open. For instance, if on the Mac, a end-user license agreement instantly pops up, we've found that most of the time, Windows solutions will choke on these.
- Open Dmg File free download - DMG Extractor, MDF Open File Tool, File Shredder, and many more programs.
- Once Z-7ip is installed, find the DMG file you want to work with in File Explorer and right-click on it. In this case we're using some of Apple's free system fonts as an example. Mouse over '7-Zip' in the right-click menu, then select 'Extract Here' or 'Extract files.'
- If you want to change a disk image so that it will do this, you can make an existing disk image read-only by using Disk Utility. Unfortunately, this won't change the behavior for incorrectly-produced images you may download from the Internet. Mount the disk image you want to auto-open. Open Disk Utility by searching for it with Spotlight.
- You can select any of them as per your requirement. If you select the file it will add a single file at once in file mode and if you select a folder it will add multiple DMG files at once. Step 5: Click on the browse button to locate DMG files from the system and to add them. Step 6: Select a.dmg file and click on Open button.
AppleInsider has affiliate partnerships and may earn commission on products purchased through affiliate links. These partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
The table below provides useful information about the .dmg file extension. It answers questions such as:
- What is the .dmg file?
- What program do I need to open a .dmg file?
- How can the .dmg file be opened, edited or printed?
- How can I convert .dmg files to another format?
Table of Contents
- 🔄 .dmg file converters
We hope you find this page helpful and a valuable resource!
1 extension(s) and 0 alias(es) found in database
✅ Mac OS X Disk Image
DMG file is a Mac OS X disk image. You can burn it or just mount it in a virtual drive.
Other types of files may also use the .dmg file extension.
🚫 The .dmg file extension is often given incorrectly!
According to the searches on our site, these misspellings were the most common in the past year:
Is it possible that the filename extension is misspelled?
We found the following similar file extensions in our database:
🔴 Can't open a .dmg file?
When you double-click a file to open it, Windows examines the filename extension. If Windows recognizes the filename extension, it opens the file in the program that is associated with that filename extension. When Windows does not recognize a filename extension, you receive the following message:
How Do You Open A Dmg File
Windows cannot open this file:
To open this file, Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it..
How Do I Open A Dmg File With Disk Utility
If you don't know how to set the .dmg file association, check the FAQ.
🔴 Can I change the extension of files?
How Do You Open A Dmg File On Windows
Changing the filename extension of a file is not a good idea. When you change a file's extension, you change the way programs on your computer read the file. The problem is, changing the file extension does not change the file format.
How Do You Open A Dmg File On Ipad
If you have helpful information about the .dmg file extension, write to us!