Mac OS X Apps which are not present on Mac AppStore are generally distributed in either .pkg or .dmg formats. However, many users find it difficult to install them due to their unfamiliarity with the .dmg format. Here’s a simple tutorial which will guide you on How you can easily install apps packaged in .dmg format on your Mac OS X machine (iMac & Macbook) . This method works on all Mac OS X versions (Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite & El Capitano as well) . Read on more for the complete tutorial.
Mac App Store and identified developers (default in OS X) – Only allow apps that came from the Mac App Store and developers using Gatekeeper can open. Anywhere – Allow applications to run regardless of their source on the Internet (default in OS X Lion v10.7.5); Gatekeeper is effectively turned off. Attempting to download macOS Catalina from the Mac App Store you may find that a small version of the “Install macOS Catalina.app” file downloads to the “Applications” folder, rather than the complete 8.1 GB installer file. There is only the DMG file, which can be written to a hard drive, burned to a CD or DVD, or sent over the Internet. In order to work with the contents of a DMG file, you must mount the the disk image to your system. This may sound daunting, however “mounting” a DMG file with Mac OS X is no more complicated than double-clicking it’ icon.
How To Download Apps From Mac Store As Dmg Free
Method to Install .dmg Format Apps on Mac OS X –
- The .dmg File of the App you want to install. Download & Save the .dmg file in any folder.
- Non-Guest User account access in Mac OS X (Any User account with app-install permissions or Administrator account).
- In our Example, We will be using the Opera browser .dmg file to demonstrate the installation process.
Rigid insulation cad hatch. Steps to Install .dmg Apps in Mac OS X –
How To Download Apps From Mac Store As Dmg File
- Navigate to your .dmg file in Finder and double-Click on it.
- Now, Depending upon the source from where the app was obtained, OS X may start the installation process or it might block the installation of App with the error “unidentified developer” . Click here for solution to “unidentified error” for your .dmg app .
- If you didn’t get the error, You will see an installer / or the app will install its image onto your homescreen (.dmg are basically app image files).
- Now, you’ll see the App Image (with a disc type icon) on to your Homescreen on Mac as show below –
App After its Dmg File installed
Installing the Dmg file doesn’t mean its installed, You will need to drag the App Icon image to the “Applications” folder for it to function properly.
- Dragging App Icon to Applications Folder – Launch the App by double clicking the App Image icon. It will open a window as shown in the image below-
Drag App Icon on to the Applications Folder
Now Click and drag the App Icon on to the “Applications” folder. i.e from Position 1. to Position 2. in the above image.
- Once you drag the Application App Image icon on to the Applications folder, it will be installed & will now be visible inside the Applications folder as shown below –
If you see the your App Icon without disk image background , You have installed the .dmg app successfully! .
- Simply Double-click the App Icon inside the Applications folder to launch your Application program.
How To Download Apps From Mac Store As Dmg Download
So, this is one of the most simple methods to install .dmg application programs on Mac OS X. Some apps may require a further tweaking but this will get the job done 99 times. If you face any issues or encounter any problems feel free to comment.