What should you do to get a screenshot of your Mac? If you are a Windows user, you will be satisfied with the Snipping tools. It is a powerful utility with four different modes, Free-form Snip, Rectangular Snip, Window Snip, and Full-screen Snip. But the software is only available for Windows now. The article will explains the best 5 alternative snipping tools for Mac. If you do have a desired software, you can share the features in the comments.
Grab is default snipping tool for Mac of Apple, which provides a default solution to get screenshot with hotkeys. It should be the most frequently used method as the alternative. Just learn more detail about the method to cut the desired snipping with hotkeys.
Nov 07, 2019 Another Snipping Tool on Mac that you can use is Grab. This is a built-in utility tool that is included in every OS X running devices. This is comparable to Windows Snipping Tool since it also has various modes like Selection, Window, Screen, and Timed Screen. This application comes closed to the Windows Snipping Tool from Microsoft Windows that I have found so far. The preferences screen is a little confusing, and there are some rough edges when using it But for my main use case — copying aerbitrary part sof my screen to my clipboard — it’s wonderful. Feb 16, 2014 The fact is that the Mac came out with a 'snipping tool' app way, way before Windows ever did. OS X comes with an app called Grab (as in 'screen grab'), in your Utilities folder. It will let you do screen shots with your mouse instead of having to memorize the shortcuts. The easiest way to take a snip on Mac is to use the built-in Mac snipping tool. Mac’s snipping tool isn’t an application, but rather a keyboard shortcut. Most people know you can take a screenshot by hitting ‘shift + command + 3.’ What most people don’t know is you can also take a snip by hitting ‘shift + command + 4.’.
- 1. Shift + Command + 3 to capture the whole screen, by default, the solution for the whole screen is 1280*800.
- 2. Shift + Command + 4 to capture a custom rectangle, you can click and drag over the screen region to the desired part.
- 3. Shift + Command + 4 with Space, which enables you to capture a specific window. You can move the mouse cursor over the desired windows to get the part.
- 4. Esc to cancel the process of snipping.
All the screenshot will be saved to the desktop automatically in PNG format. Of course, you can also use the snipping tool to Mac to save the screenshot to other format, such as JPG, TIFF, PDF, PNG, BMP or PICT. Here is the command line you should enter when you want to change file format.
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type image_format
Snip is another software, which is able to capture the active Window or custom areas. What is more, it can automatically identify windows. As one of the most popular free Mac snipping tools, there are many excellent features you can enjoy, especially when you need to put a large number of files to Word.
- 1. Add labels, texts and handwriting contents of your choice and save it to your device or the clipboard.
- 2. Snip can identify windows open automatically, and you can also custom the area manually according to your requirements.
- 3. There are some special tags, such as rectangle, ellipse, arrow, text and even draw with handwriting brushes.
- 4. The Mac snipping tool supports a custom location, size and color.
- 1. The powerful annotation marks restore the visual element to remote communication just as standing next to someone.
- 2. The snipping tool for Mac also provides a fuss free way to save your work or attach them to email in convenience.
- 3. It has more functions than the Windows snipping tools, and more importantly, it makes everything interesting and funny.
- 4. And there are other sharing and editing features that make the screenshot just as your requirements.
Skitch is another favorite snipping tool for Mac, which is developed by EverNote. It is able to take multiple screenshot and annotate them without problem. Skitch includes an interesting UI widget that helps you take the screenshot simple and coherent. Just learn more detail about the special features of the Skitch as below.
Generally speaking, Skitch is an easy and fun to use snipping software for Mac. Just run the software, open up an image, annotate and send them. The software lets you visually highlight images to help your point.
Snagit should be the powerful solution to create and edit screenshots. The snipping tool is compatible with both Windows and Mac. And you can also use it for mobile capture as well. You can download TechSmith Fuse for Android or iOS phones to capture screenshot for mobile. And then send photos and videos from mobile device straight to Snagit editor.
- 1. Creating Animated GIF feature should be my favorite, which turns any short screen recording into an animated GIF. Show off quick tasks and workflows without a large file size.
- 2. It not only customizes and edit every screenshot, but also provides professional quality markup tools. And even convert to the right formats.
- 3. It is able to take a full-page screenshot, which is able to grab the horizontal, vertical, or entire scrolling area within just one click.
- 4. It is able to capture wide, horizontal scrolls, infinitely scrolling webpages, and everything between.
It is a powerful snipping tool for Mac, which grabs your entire desktop, a region, a window, or a scrolling screen. Grab any webpage or application, which requires a single hotkey or click.
Tipard Screen Capture
In order to quick screen capture and recording for your desktop, Tipard Screen capture should be the best snipping tools for Windows alternative. It is not only capture screen, record online video with best quality, but also customize the screen size, set capture time and cursor and more. Just learn more detail about the All-in-One software for Windows.
- 1. Tipard Screen Capture is able to capture screens in high quality, which helps you capture screen movements and actions easily.
- 2. The Snipping tool is also able to record audio files both from computer or microphone.
- 3. You can also preview the video once you complete the process of capturing screen.
- 4. The software supports multiple online video sites, video and audio formats according to your requirements.
- 5. Easily customize the screen size according to your needs.
Besides the functions, you can also use some editing features to create some professional video tutorials, capture some interesting screenshots, or grab some online streaming videos. It should be the ultimate snipping tools for you.
Just as mentioned, when you need to search for the best snipping tools for mac, the default Grab for Mac should be initial choice. When you need to add special annotations, Skitch can be taken into consideration. As for the users with OICQ or need some small size software, you can choose snip. In order to use the snipping tools for Mac, Windows and smartphone, Snagit is another solution to get the desired screenshot. Tipard Screen capture is the ultimate software to capture screen, video and audio files of your computer, you can always snip the desired files. If you want to share more detail about the desired Mac snipping tools, you can add them in the comments to us now.
Follow @Lily Stark
March 21, 2017 15:26
- 5 Best Audio Grabber Software to Record Streaming Audio Files
When you need to capture online audio streaming, you can find the top 5 audio grabber Software to record and download the audio files for you.
- How to Take a Screenshot on a Mac Computer
What should you do to have a screenshot Mac? The article explains the different methods to capture screenshot on Mac in different occasions.
- The Easiest Way to Print Screen on Mac and Windows
If you have any difficult to print screen of Windows and Mac, you can learn more about screen-print hot keys for taking Windows and Mac screenshots.
- 10 Best Online Screen Recorders for Free to Capture Screen
To run out of downloading time wasting, it is convenient to apply online screen recorder. With high quality screencast capture and data lossless, online video capturer can work well too.
Is there a snipping tool for Mac? Yes. However, that’s not the only thing that exists. There are several apps available in the iTunes app store that promise to let you take a snip from your Mac’s screen just like you normally would on a Windows computer.
Action comedy actors. We’re here to present you with all the options when it comes to generating a snip image on a Mac. We’re going to look at the basic option built into the Mac OS, as well as at a few different apps that can be used for this exact purpose. At the end of this short guide, you will have a full range of options for a snipping tool for Mac.
What Is the Snipping Tool?
Windows computers have had this cool feature ever since the OS’s inception. Not many people knew about it right away and not many people actually used it at first. However, as time went by, Windows users started to realize its incredible usefulness. Here’s why it’s such a cool program:
- You can take a screenshot of any area of the screen that you like.
- You can customize each screenshot before you take it with features such as “show selection margins.”
- You can draw on your new snippet.
- You can highlight text on your new snippet.
- You can erase both the drawings and the highlights just as easily.
- You can email the snipped directly from the program.
Naturally, when searching for a snipping tool for Mac, Windows users aren’t looking for something that will have just one of the functionalities above. So, when looking at the following options, we’re going to see which of the above features are still available in the respective snipping tool for Mac.
Snipping Tool for Mac – All the Tools
Many were the times when we had to take a snip on one of our Mac computers, but found the limited functionality of the original Mac tool to be annoying. Still, let’s start with this one:
Built-in Snipping Tool for Mac
It’s simple to activate this feature of Mac computers. As many of you will know, taking a screenshot on Mac can be done by pressing Cmd+Shift+3. This will photocopy your screen and leave it in an image file on your desktop. Now, for the original snipping tool for Mac, you have to press Cmd+Shift+4.
Unfortunately, that’s about all you can do with this snipping tool for Mac. After you press the command, a selection tool will appear, allowing you to select the exact area that you want to snip. After this, the image will automatically appear on your desktop.
Apowersoft Snipping Tool for Mac
This little app (available for free on the Mac store) has extended capabilities compared to the original snippet tool for Mac. Here are the most important features:
- You can take a snippet of whatever size you want.
- You can add text to the snippet.
- You can crop the snippet after you take it.
- You can paint or highlight the snippet.
- You can magnify a snipping
- You can save the image in different formats.
The Apowersoft snipping tool for Mac is far better in functionality than the original one, but it still lacks the simplicity of the original snipping tool for Windows.
Grab Snipping Tool for Mac
Grab is slightly less advanced than the Apowersoft version of a snipping tool for Mac. However, it does have some nice features:
- You have custom commands for each option in the app.
- You can take a timed snippet.
- You can take a full screenshot.
- You can record snippet videos.
- You can export your files to the TIFF format (very useful for professional graphic designers).
Although the Grab snipping tool for Mac isn’t as complex as the other two we’ve discussed, it’s still a good tool for those looking for the precise features above.
Skitch Snipping Tool for Mac
Grab For Mac
Skitch is an app built by the nice people that made Evernote, so you know it’s going to be a cool app. Of all the other ones we’ve presented here, Skitch also has the simplest user interface. Here are some of its features:
- You can take any type of snippet you like.
- You have a one-click screenshot option.
- You can draw on your snippet.
- You can write on your snippet.
- You can paint and pixelate your snippet.
- You can crop the snippet after you’ve taken it.
All in all, Skitch seems to be the snipping tool for Mac that is closest to the Windows version.
Which snipping tool for Mac do you use? Have you tried any of the ones above? If so, let us know what you thought of it in the comments section below.
Is There A Snipping Tool For Macbook Pro
Image sources: 1, 2