The Other The Other is an individual who is perceived by the group as not belonging, as being different in some Any stranger becomes the Other. Test yourself with our free English language quiz about 'Another, Other & Others'. This is a free intermediate English grammar quiz and esl worksheet. No sign-up required.
Come join Otherpower's Dan Bartmann and the Midwest Renewable Energy Association staff for an intense, hands-on week of building wind turbines from scratch in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, July 9-14, 2008!
As a staff-owned bank, we care more about every customer with highly-personalized service, a variety of account options and local knowledge from people who live here, too.
Less Fun Stuff. Qualifying Exam Syllabus. List of courses I took as an undergraduate at Berkeley Fun Stuff. I Think We're Alone Now (1988). So are you Chinese or Japanese. Community Bank is a comprehensive financial services bank, with over $3.3 billion in assets and 800+ employees across 4 states.Learn More
To help you take care of business, we take care of your business with solid advice, real solutions and cutting-edge technology to make banking easier than ever.Learn More
We turn hopes into homes by taking the time to walk step-by-step through the mortgage process. Find out how a conscientious bank can help you get started.Learn More
CB LocationsFind Your Location
Quick Summary: What is the difference between another and other?
A simple rule to help you remember the difference between another and other is:
another + singular noun
other + plural noun
others (a pronoun to replace other + plural noun)
- I need another cup. (cup is singular so we use another)
- I need other cups. (cups is plural so we use other)
- I need others. (refers to other cups)
When to use ANOTHER
Itool for mac. Another means:
- one more, an additional, an extra
- a different one; an alternative one
Another is a determiner (and a qualifier) that goes before a singular countable noun or a pronoun.
Another + Singular Countable noun
Another can be followed by a singular countable noun.
- He has bought another motorbike.
- Would you like another cup of coffee?
- Don’t worry about the rain. We can go another day.
- I think you should paint it another color.
- We are having another baby.
Another + One
Another can be placed before “one” when the meaning is clear from the text before it.
- I have already eaten two sandwiches though now I want another one. (= an additional sandwich)
- A: You can borrow more of these books if you like. B: Ok, I’ll take another one. (= another book, one more book)
Another as a pronoun
Sometimes another is used as a pronoun.
- That piece of cake was tasty. I think I’ll have another. (another = one more piece of cake)
- I don’t like this room. Let’s ask for another. (another = another room)
Note: you can also say: “I think I’ll have another one.” and “Let’s ask for another one.”
Another + number + plural noun
Another can be used before a plural noun when there is a number before that noun or before phrases such as a couple of, a few etc.
- In another 20 years my laptop is going to be obsolete.
- I like this city so much that I’m going to spend another three days here.
- We need another three teachers before classes begin.
- He was given another couple of months to finish the sculpture.
Remember another is ONE word not two words (an other is incorrect)
When to use OTHER
Other is a determiner that goes before plural countable nouns, uncountable nouns or a pronoun.
Other Words For Sad
Other + Plural Countable Noun
Other can be followed by a plural countable noun.
- We have other styles if you are interested.
- Have you got any other dresses, or are these the only ones?
- Some days are sunny though other days can be very rainy.
- I have invited some other people.
- I can’t help you because I’m busy with other things.
Other + Ones
Other can be placed before the pronoun “ones” when the meaning is clear from the text before it.
- We don’t need those books, we need other ones. (= different books)
- A: You can borrow my books if you like. B: Thanks, but I need other ones. (= other books)
Note: you can say other one when it refers to wanting the alternative.
- I don't want this one, I want the other one.
Others as a pronoun
Others replaces “other ones” or 'other + plural noun'.
Only others can be used as a pronoun and not other.
- I don’t like these postcards. Let’s ask for others. (others = other postcards)
- Some of the presidents arrived on Monday. Others arrived the following day.
Others - the others
Often “(the) others” refers to “(the) other people”.
- He has no interest in helping others. (= in helping other people)
- What are the others doing tonight?
What is the difference between other and others?
Other is followed by a noun or a pronoun
Others is a pronoun and is NOT followed by a noun.
- These shoes are too small. Do you have any other shoes?
- These shoes are too small. Do you have any others? (no noun after others)
Try our game to practice the difference between Another, Other and Others.
Read more about Quantifiers in English.
If you found this English Grammar about Another vs. Other vs. Others interesting or useful, let others know about it: